The practice of mindfulness is: paying attention in the here and now. You only have fleeting moments to live. The idea behind mindfulness, is to live intentionally from one moment to the next. Each moment is a new beginning; a new opportunity to start over, to tune in, and to reconnect. It is the practice of non-doing; of being. It is to align yourself with the basic experience of living.
Allowing ourselves to be in the moment, with things exactly as they are and without trying to change anything, is the goal. It is learning how to make time for yourself and how to slow down and nurture self-acceptance; learning to observe your own mind from moment to moment. It is a journey you must live yourself by cultivating mindfulness in your own life.
Meditation is ultimately about paying attention. You need to bring your whole being to the process. The attitude, in which you undertake the practice of paying attention and being in the present, is crucial. To cultivate meditative awareness requires only that we pay attention and see things as they are. It does not require that we change anything. You cannot do this with force of will. You must create the right conditions and then let go. An open attitude works the best. Keeping certain attitudes in mind is actually part of the training itself.
“IF YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR BODY, IT IS NO GOOD TO WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE THE WEIGHT YOU THINK YOU SHOULD BE BEFORE STARTING TO LIKE YOUR BODY AND YOURSELF. YOU MUST LOVE YOURSELF AT THE WEIGHT YOU ARE NOW BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU CAN LOVE YOURSELF. NOW IS THE ONLY TIME YOU HAVE FOR ANYTHING. YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT YOURSELF AS YOU ARE BEFORE YOU CAN REALLY CHANGE” Jon Kabat-Zinn
It is not the food that is an issue, but your feelings. It is wanting more and never having enough. Food is just the gateway to the rest of your life. You want to be free to be yourself.
- Change your attitude towards food: food is food; it has no magical powers.
- Learn to listen to your body and feed it what it truly wants.
- Treat yourself with kindness and be less critical.
- Learn what is enough
- Work on what is already good in your life and remove the obstacles that keep you from reaching your natural weight
- Eat less: portion control is being in control
- Become mindful of your eating and your feelings
- Learn about your relationship with food by observing
- Become in control of your eating
- Try to identify the monster within that has become in charge of your body
During each meal you will eat slowly and carefully, be aware of your body and what it is telling you about the amount you are eating and to stop eating when you have had enough and generally live in peace and harmony.
Your body knows: learn to trust your body again.